Is it Breakfast or Protein that helps you to lose weight or both?
You’ve heard it all your life, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” Studies show eating a healthy breakfast will improve your concentration and performance as well as your endurance and strength. Miss breakfast and you’ll be hungry by lunch. That may not be true for everyone.
First, let’s talk about starting your day. I start my morning with a nice glass of lemon water to break my night time fast. This is a chance for me to hydrate my body, and my organs that have been working all night.
I then meditate/give thanks, followed by some light stretching, maybe some oil pulling. Depending on when I wake up I may or may not have time to eat before I take my children to school.
I generally try to eat something within an hour or two of waking. When I do this along with my morning movements or rituals, it gives my body and (digestive system) as well as my mind time to wake up and focus.
Breakfast for me is not gulping down coffee, eating a big doughnut to satisfy your sugar needs and rushing to the office. Breakfast fuels and energizes you as the day wears on. Below are a few ideas to help you see what you should have for breakfast?
Protein – I include protein in with every meal, even breakfast. There are many sources of protein vegan and non-vegan. Adding protein to your meals will help keep you feeling full until the next meal. Protein also aides your weight-loss effort, by giving you the feeling of satiety, which you feel fuller longer. Here are a few examples of how to make protein part of your day:
Breakfast -A great way to start the day
- A simple green smoothie with added protein such as chia seeds, almonds, and spinach (2 handfuls), you can add 1 cup of strawberries, and a bananas to sweeten. Pour in 2 cups of water or 1 cup water and 1 cup of almond milk blend and enjoy. I add a scoop of Green Smoothie Girl Protein to my smoothies.
- Eggs and lean (low sodium turkey) bacon
- Rolled oatmeal with nuts, dried fruit/raisins, chia seeds, diced apples/bananas
- If you eat a bowl of fruit add some nuts, chia or hemp seeds for protein to avoid the insulin spike.
LUNCH – Mid-day Boost Your lunch should also include protein.
- Sandwich on whole wheat, loads of veggies and meat (grilled chicken or fish) here the chicken or fish is the protein.
- Salad with spinach, romaine or mixed greens tomatoes, carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers you get the idea and this too can include a lean meat or nuts, and dried fruit. If you are vegan you can include some black beans, kidney beans or chick peas. If you are not vegan feel free to add sliced boiled eggs on top. The trick with salads is not to overload them with toppings and dressings. If you don’t pay attention your salad can have as many calories as a big mac, whopper, or latte.
- Lentil soup is also a great lunch accompanied with a side salad.
- Tempeh or Tofu is an option. Season them well. Press your tofu, slice it and dress it. Broil it until you notice it starts to crisp. Marinate and sear tempeh for better flavor and texture. Layer your filets onto your salad and enjoy.DINNER – Final Meal of the day
- Grilled salmon with quinoa and roasted vegetables
- Grilled, rotisserie or baked chicken with a nice salad and green beans
- Black bean burger or turkey burger, baked sweet potato fries, side salad
- Stir-fry vegetable with lean beef, chicken, or tofu with brown rice SNACKS – 2 a day
- Including protein as part of your snacks, you should easily get in the proper grams of protein to give you enough energy to make it through the day without the dreaded crash. To find out how much protein you should have every day click here
- Apples, carrots, or celery with almond butter
- veggies and hummus
- palm full of nuts/seeds try to keep it to an ounce
- Air popped popcorn with or without cheese sprinkled on it
- String cheeseDrinking water throughout the day helps you to flush toxins, feel full and hydrated. Nicole, CHHC
- Until next time,
- These are enough ideas to get you started. You will see if you follow these suggestions, it is easy to get enough protein.
“It’s time for you to move, realizing that the thing you are seeking is also seeking you.” – Iyanla Vanzant