Do you find yourself tossing and turning until you just decide to turn on the television hoping that will put you to sleep only to find that you’ve watched an entire movie? If that’s you, you’re not alone. It’s estimated that as many as 70 million Americans suffer from sleep deprivation! We have so much on our minds. We load our days with so much to do that we feel there isn’t enough time in a day and we end up compromising our sleep hours. Time hasn’t changed or sped up, our lives have.
Let’s slow down a bit and make getting some sleep a priority. When you put sleep on your to-do list, you will be surprised at what happens. Plan for it by making your bed creating an inviting space. Clear the clutter. Your bedroom is not your office, add some candles and spray some lavender oils/linen spray that encourage sleep. It may take a few days, maybe a few weeks before you see some results but don’t give up.
As I said make sleep a priority, set the stage. Create a bed time, yes plan a time that you will go to your room. While in your room prepare for a good rest with the tips below:
Here is a list of a few 10 things you can try to help improve your sleep:
1. Set the stage make your room dark by closing the blinds/curtains.
2. No electronics or social media at least 30 – 60 minutes before bed.
3. Turn off or remove electronics (except for your alarm clock).
4. Eliminate/reduce caffeine, chocolate and alcohol (these increase urination and can cause restless sleep).
5. Don’t go to bed will a full tummy. Eat dinner 3-4 hours before bedtime.
6. Drink a calming tea like Chamomile in the evening.
8. Make sure your bedroom is at a comfortable temperature
9. Take a soothing Epsom salt bath or a hot shower before you retire for the night.
10. Play some soft relaxing music, nature sounds, or white noise at bed time (you can find loads on YouTube) to help you wind down.
1.Try meditation, Yoga, or Tai Chi or stretching at night is a great way to unload stress.
2. Let go of the day by writing in your journal to release your worries
3. Create a to-do list for the next day. This helps us to know that we will take care of it first thing upon waking. (don’t take it as an excuse to procrastinate).
4. Reading as well as exercise can make you sleepy or stimulate your mind. If it makes you sleepy go for it, if not get it done a few hours before bedtime.
Note: If these simple solutions don’t work for you, check with your doctor to see if they can find the cause of your insomnia. Hopefully these natural solutions will help.
Until Next Time,